Thursday, August 11, 2011

Next Project: Michael's Office

The euphoria of the dining room didn't last long, that or I'm totally bored at work and need a new project.  And the next project is Michael's office.  Shhh... don't tell him.

Since we moved into Chez Noble in 2007, I've left his office space alone.  I let him choose the paint color (which he did a very nice job of) and decor.  But, the time has come for me to add a woman's touch as well as clean it up a bit - it's a total disaster of golf and football art, baseball caps (at least 100), and work files galore.  Just for reference, the color that Michael chose is an Alabama red color called Roasted Pepper by Porter Paints.


Last night, I measured the space - it's about 13.5 ft x 11.5 ft. with one large picture window and another window higher up but just as wide.  Here's the current layout:


The (1) curved desk takes up a huge amount of space, but there's not other place to put it based on where the door and windows are.  So it has to stay put as does (2) the swivel chair.  An (3) English pub table that Michael's mom bought him years ago is in the other corner and is covered in papers.  Next to that is (4) an old office chair that Michael's grandmother kept for him - it was his grandfather's.  Very nice, just needs to be recovered as right now it has an awful beat up green leather seat.  Then on the other side of the room are (5 and 6) are two rocking chairs that Michael's other grandfather passed on to him about a year ago.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them but they can't stay in this room.  So besides it being Michael's office for actual work (and he does A LOT of it) it's not otherwise functional or really that pretty. 

So here's what I'm thinking:


Obviously keeping the desk and desk chair in the same location but moving the rest of the current furniture either out or into a different location as well as bringing in some new things.  First, I'm thinking about bringing in a sofa - since the walls are a vibrant red color and I want the room to be definitely masculine, I'm thinking about the new Griffin sofa from Ballard Designs in Black Sunbrella fabric. 
Then recovering Michael's grandfather's chair in a black and white stripe (note: this is not the actual chair but one very similar in style):
Then add a wood console table that we already have (again this picture is not exact) to use for books, DVDs, etc. in front of the picture window.

And a couple of throw pillows on the sofa to add some depth:




But the piece de resistance would be some how configuring Michael's art into a wall that looks like this:


End result would look something like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment